Just as the summer season brings vibrant sunsets and sandy toes, it opens up a world of adventure waiting to be discovered within the pages of books. The expedition of summer reading offers a rich chance to keep your children’s language skills sharp while embarking on journeys to fantastical worlds and intriguing stories — all while enriching their creativity and imagination, and fostering a lifelong love of learning.
We tip our captain’s hat to the American Montessori Society for charting the path of maintaining language skills during summer’s grand voyage with a recent blog post on their website by V. Kulikow, a former Montessori teacher and youth services librarian. In their blog post, the author shares that the “summer slide”, a documented slump in academic skills, stands as a potential storm in kids’ ongoing learning journey. The incredible news is that with intentional exposure to the adventure-packed treasure map of reading, we can conquer this challenge and turn it into a fun-filled, imaginative journey.
Whether it’s a shared family reading session in your backyard oasis or a solo exploration in a cozy reading nook, reading paves the path not only to enhancing language skills but also to boosting creativity and empathy. The power of stories is real, with 74% of children acknowledging that reading both fiction and non-fiction helps them understand the world – an insightful compass in their life’s journey, and an ongoing periscope they can use to understand others and see a representation of themselves as they navigate the world.
Embarking On A Voyage Of Discovery
Summer waves beckon children to take the helm of their reading journey, selecting books that catch their curious eyes – an aspect so powerful that 89% of children favor the books they’ve self-selected. Libraries serve as lighthouses along this voyage, guiding young explorers toward a sea of books without the worry of depleting their treasure chest. Regular visits to this literary harbor, coupled with summer reading programs, can widen their horizon and chart the course toward a lifelong love of reading.
To make your home the perfect oasis for this reading journey, consider the following:
- Emulate the Captain: Show your young crew that books aren’t just maps, but hidden treasure chests filled with adventures. Let them catch you reaching for a book instead of a gadget.
- Cultivate a Reading Oasis: Keep books within arm’s reach, making reading a ready choice for idle moments.
- Embrace Digital Volumes: If they see you navigating e-books, they’ll be curious to explore the digital realm too. Consider setting aside an e-reader filled with children’s books (with purchase permissions safely stowed away).
- Share the Journey: Dive into the same book or listen to an audiobook together, creating a shared experience and opening avenues for rich discussions.
- Set Sail with Joy: Reading is not a chore to be completed, but a joyful journey to embark upon. Approach it with enthusiasm, and they’re likely to follow your lead.
Steering the ship toward a love for reading can navigate your children toward both academic success and emotional intelligence. And the summer season presents the perfect wind in the sails for this journey. Below is a selection of recent literary treasures to add to your summer reading cargo, or consider asking your local librarian for personalized maps to new stories. So hoist the anchor, unfurl the sails, and let’s embark on a summer of reading adventures.
Discover New Reading Treasures
Here’s a glimpse of some engaging, inspiring books, suitable for various age groups. Consult your local librarian – the trusted guide on this voyage – for even more age-appropriate suggestions.
- ‘Mae Among the Stars’ by Roda Ahmed
- ‘A is for Activist’ by Innosanto Nagara
- ‘Ollie’s Hug’ by Olivier Dunrea
- ‘Forever My Baby’ by Kate Lockwood
- ‘Counting on the Earth’ by Mudpuppy
- ‘My Princess Boy’ by Cheryl Kilodavis
- ‘Last Stop on Market Street’ by Matt de la Pēna
- ‘Eyes That Speak to the Stars’ by Joanna Ho
- ‘Just Help!: How to Build a Better World’ by Sonia Sotomayor
- ‘The Year We Learned to Fly’ by Jacqueline Woodson
- ‘Brown Girl Dreaming’ by Jacqueline Woodson
- ‘The Beatryce Prophecy’ by Kate DiCamillo
- ‘Mr. Lemoncello’s Very First Game’ by Chris Grabenstein
- ‘The Golden Swift’ by Lev Grossman (Silver Arrow series)
- ‘Solimar: The Sword of the Monarchs’ by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Young Adult Books
- ‘Felix Ever After’ by Kacen Callender
- ‘Cinder and Glass’ by Melissa de la Cruz
- ‘Sunny G’s Series of Rash Decisions’ by Navdeep Singh Dhillon
- ‘Tokyo Dreaming’ by Emiko Jean (sequel to Tokyo Ever After)
- ‘League of Liars’ by Astrid Scholte
- ‘I Must Betray You’ by Ruta Sepetys
Summer is not just a season, but a spirit of adventure and discovery – a spirit that finds its home in the heart of every book. Just as the waves of the sea shape the shoreline, every page turned has the potential to shape the minds of our young adventurers. We encourage you, as the guiding star in your children’s lives, to stoke the fires of this love for reading. Be their compass as they navigate the seas of stories. Together, embark on a journey where every chapter is a new land to explore, every sentence a step into the unknown, and every word an opportunity to learn and grow.
As busy, working parents, should you find yourself in need of a steadfast first mate to support and enhance this exciting voyage, Adventure Nannies is ready to answer the call. We specialize in pairing families with dedicated, compassionate nannies and private educators who embody the spirit of exploration and a love for self-led learning. They stand ready to guide your child’s development ship towards a horizon bright with creativity, independence, and lifelong learning. Embarking on the journey of reading is an adventure like no other. It shapes young minds, fuels imagination, and prepares them to navigate the vast seas of the world. As they set sail on this summer of stories, may the winds of curiosity fill their sails, may the compass of knowledge guide their course, and may the treasures of learning be their ultimate destination. Adventure awaits – let’s journey together!
If you are looking for an exceptionally skilled nanny, newborn care specialist, or private educator for your child, we’d love to hear from you!
If you feel that you have what it takes to become an Adventure Nanny, newborn care specialist, or private educator, reach out to us.